Documentary Bootcamp – one week intensive filmmaking course
Documentary Bootcamp is a one-week, immersive, hands-on learning experience covering the fundamentals of documentary filmmaking from pre- to post-production. Lively presentations, relevant discussions, practical exercises, and thorough reviews will culminate in your completion of a final project.
- Produce a short documentary in a week;
- Learn how to pick a great story and engage your audience through the lived realities of your characters and scenes;
- Acquire the aesthetic and technical skills needed to record moving images and sounds that are editable and stimulate the eye and ear;
- Practice the art and science of interviewing and how to avoid unusable answers;
- Develop, script, and organize a project from start to finish.
Start Date: 1/4/21
End Date: 1/8/21
Monday thru Friday
(1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8)
Meeting Times: 9am-4:30pm
Optional editing lab on Thursday until 8:30pm
Location: MassArt, 621 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115
Participants will use the production equipment available to them whether it be a phone, DSLR or video camera. Tripods are highly recommended. Audio recording gear is not required, but a shotgun microphone, wireless lavalier kit and headphones that can connect to your video recording device will be useful if available.
Free access to Adobe Premiere editing software comes with enrollment. Students must have a computer that meets the minimum specifications required by Adobe Premiere Pro 2020. It is highly recommended that students have external hard drives to store and edit their media.
(Contact the instructor if you do not have a computer.)